Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Homemade Life

Hello Everyone,

We are going to be spoiled this month with a visit from Molly Wizenberg. Wizenberg's is the author of A Homemade Life and the author of the wildly successful blog Organgette.

I did a little research on the internet and I found a great article that shares a lot about the motivation behind a A Homemade Life as well as Wizenberg's life story. A Homemade Life will be a difficult read much in the same ways Eating Heaven was. Wizenberg details the life and death of her farther in A Homemade Life. Wizenberg also spills the beans about her world wind romance that began Orangette. I have no doubt that we will have lots to talk about when she visits us on Wednesday June 30th at 6:30pm!

Below is bits and pieces from an article I found. I cut and pasted as much as I could. It is a bit long, but well worth the read.

Ballard Blogger Molly Wizenberg Makes Sense of the World Through Food

By Rebekah Denn

We are what we eat, and Molly Wizenberg is French lemon yogurt cake, and buckwheat pancakes, and potato salad, and so much more.

The cake is the recipe that inspired a stranger from New York to introduce himself to Wizenberg via e-mail. (He's now her husband.) Pancakes represented "a strange sort of coming of age," learning at age 15 they could be made without a boxed mix. And the potato salad is all about her late father, Burg, made with ranch dressing and "a ballsy ¾-cup mayonnaise," about a teaspoon for each potato.

Food blogs abound -- as do books from blogs -- but Wizenberg always has stood out as a storyteller as well as a cook, each written entry a jewel box of an essay and an impeccable recipe.

"For me, food is really never just food," she said last week in the small kitchen of her Ballard home, a 3-pound jar of castor sugar on the counter and Polaroid film in the fridge.

The foods she writes about and photographs, she said, help her understand who she is and where she came from, her city and the people in her life. "It's a way of making sense of the world."

Wizenberg's family's life was built around the kitchen table, she wrote, and "I learned to cook because the kitchen was where things happened."

But she did not want to be a chef, she decided, after a kitchen internship at the high-profile Greens restaurant left her unmoved. She drifted through travels and studies in France, degrees in biology and French and cultural anthropology.

Then, as she attended graduate school in Seattle, her father was diagnosed with cancer. Wizenberg was 24 and went home to Oklahoma for his short, vicious battle against the disease. After weeks of pain, he died.

"I won't tell you that it was hard. You already know that," she wrote. "I was so numb sometimes that my hands stopped working, just locked themselves into funny, pinched fists. But then there was the gratitude, a sort of low-grade, queasy gratitude, that he was free."

She was given the standard advice for those in grief: Make no major life decisions for 18 months. As the months came to an end, she made the decision that ultimately changed her life's course. She moved to France, intending to work on a doctorate for a career in cultural anthropology. Within weeks of arriving in Paris, she realized that her life kept coming back to food. It was "what I thought about, what I cared about, what I wrote about, what got me out of bed in the morning."

A writer friend suggested she start a food blog. She returned to Seattle, working in a Pilates studio and then the University of Washington press, and she wrote the first Orangette entry in July 2004.

Orangette's audience steadily grew, and Wizenberg's life inched more into its pages. In April 2005, a young New Yorker named Brandon Pettit wrote her that her writing was exactly how he felt about food and life. Two months later, after an intense cross-country romance, she introduced him to her readers. The next year, they were engaged, and Pettit bought a one-way ticket to Seattle. In spring, he's opening a restaurant, Delancey, in Ballard. Wizenberg will bake the pastries, help develop the menus and otherwise participate -- but she'll mainly continue to write and blog.


Here is the link to her blog http://orangette.blogspot.com/. You can even go back into the archives and see her very first blog entry in July 2004!

6 comments:

  1. I am enjoying this book. Yesterday I made the Dutch Baby for my 2 girls. "Why do they call it a baby?" they wanted to know...with a little worry in the voice!

    The treats I brought home from the last book club (the few that I didn't eat driving home anyway) were a huge hit! Thanks Lindsay and Doug for another great evening! Next week we are going to try making the taffy although my girls want it to be pink (not chocolate)...of course. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jenny! You are cooking up a storm! Let me know how the taffy works out. Make sure to take lots of pictures of your girls pulling the taffy. Why do they call it baby....... :)
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the ratatouille recipe last night and it was delicious! Definitely the best meal I've ever eaten alone, just like Molly said it would be :) ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I waited and waited for this book to come from the library, thinking that somehow that would do it for me. Now that I'm nearly done, I realize I really do need to own it--far too many great recipes and stories not to have it on the shelf closest to my kitchen! I'm eager to put the slow-roasted tomatoes to the test...
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  5. That great Emily! You will have to tell us more at the meeting. Next time take pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you're enjoying the book Lora. We missed you at last month's meeting. Let me know how the slow-roasted tomatoes turn out. Also remember if you buy A Homemade Life from the store you will receive 20% off.

    ReplyDelete