Monday, May 24, 2010

The Freak in All of Us


Hello Everyone!

It is that time again! I am really excited to see all of you again. I hope our first look into non-fiction was a fun and interesting experience for you.

I think the issues discussed in Candy Freak will make for really interesting conversation.
These are just a couple of questions that came to my mind that I would love to get your opinion on:
  • Did you know that many candy bars existed? Which one would you love to try if you could?
  • What was your favorite candy factory Almond visited?
  • Did you learn anything new about the candy industry?
  • Do you think there is anything consumer's can do to help independent candy copies survive?
  • Has this book made you realize you may have a freak in you?

I know you all are dying to know what Doug has up his sleeve for this month. In my personal opinion, I think Doug has outdone himself this month. Doug is going to treat us very well on Wednesday! He is not only to make one recipe for us...but he is going to treat us to three different candy and cookie recipes!

He will be making his new and improved version of the Little Debbie Nutty Bars (a favorite from my childhood!). He also has a recipe for Oreo Cookies that Doug swears up and down tastes exactly like Oreo cookies (only better). Last, but definitely not least he will be demonstrating how to make Chocolate Taffy (also known as Tootsie Rolls). Now the best part, believe it or not will not be eating all this delicious goodies, but helping make them. According to Doug, Tootsie Rolls is a fancy name for chocolate taffy. After Doug has demonstrated how to make chocolate taffy we will help pull the taffy into submission. Exciting huh? Unfortunately, we do no have a chocolate robber on hand, but I think this demonstration will help make candy making personal, which is the heart of Almond's message.

If your mouth is watering at the prospect of Nutty Bars, Oreos, and chocolate taffy then please join us Wednesday May 26th at 6:30 at Garfield Book Company.

3 comments:

  1. Madison said...
    This book club has been alot of fun. Am looking forward to meeting on Wednesday and seeing what everyone has to say about the "Candy Freak" book. Also it will be fun to see what Doug will be making and then getting a new book.
    Lindsay thanks for all that you do
    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I love what you do with the pictures, links, recipes, etc. I am looking forward to book club Wednesday. (I have tried to comment before but it never worked). Jenny
    May 24, 2010 10:44 AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be fun to discuss all of your questions at book club tonight. I have discovered that I have a bit of freak in me where it comes to candy.
    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete